Today’s Regulatory Mix: FCC Announces Tentative Agenda for February Open Meeting, The FCC Releases the Agenda for Its ACDDE Virtual Meeting
FCC Announces Tentative Agenda for February Open Meeting
Acting FCC Chairwoman Jessica Rosenworcel announced that the items below are tentatively on the agenda for the February Open Commission Meeting scheduled for Wednesday, February 17, 2021:
- Presentation on the Emergency Broadband Benefit Program – The Commission will hear a presentation on the creation of an Emergency Broadband Benefit Program. Congress charged the FCC with developing a new $3.2 billion program to help Americans who are struggling to pay for internet service during the pandemic.
- Presentation on COVID-19 Telehealth Program – The Commission will hear a presentation about the next steps for the agency’s COVID-19 Telehealth program. Congress recently provided an additional $249.95 million to support the FCC’s efforts to expand connected care throughout the country and help more patients receive health care safely.
- Presentation on Improving Broadband Mapping Data – The Commission will hear a presentation on the work the agency is doing to improve its broadband maps. Congress directly appropriated $65 million to help the agency develop better data for improved maps.
- Addressing 911 Fee Diversion – The Commission will consider a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking that would implement section 902 of the Don’t Break Up the T-Band Act of 2020, which requires the Commission to take action to help address the diversion of 911 fees by states and other jurisdictions for purposes unrelated to 911. (PS Docket Nos. 20-291, 09-14)
- Implementing the Secure and Trusted Communications Networks Act – The Commission will consider a Third Further Notice of Proposed Rulemaking that proposes to modify FCC rules consistent with changes that were made to the Secure and Trusted Communications Networks Act in the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2021. (WC Docket No. 18-89)
The FCC publicly releases the draft text of each item expected to be considered at the next Open Commission Meeting. One-page cover sheets are included in the public drafts to help summarize each item. All these materials will be available on the FCC’s Open Meeting page: www.fcc.gov/openmeeting.
The FCC Releases the Agenda for Its ACDDE Virtual Meeting
The FCC has announced the agenda for the February 11, 2021 virtual meeting of the Advisory Committee on Diversity and Digital Empowerment (ACDDE). The ACDDE’s three working groups are: (1) Access to Capital Working Group, which examines ways to improve access to capital in order to encourage management and ownership of broadcast properties by a diverse range of voices, including minorities and women; (2) Digital Empowerment and Inclusion Working Group, which assesses access, adoption, and use of broadband and new technologies by under-resourced communities; and (3) Diversity in the Tech Sector Working Group, which examines issues pertaining to hiring, promotion, and retention of women and minorities in tech industries.
The Regulatory Mix, Inteserra’s blog of telecom related regulatory activities, is a snapshot of PUC, FCC, legislative, and occasionally court issues that our regulatory monitoring team uncovers each day. Depending on their significance, some items may be the subject of an Inteserra Briefing.